Professional Certificate Course, AMPAP Elective Course, ASP Mandatory
Duration: 5 days
Available languages: English
Safety Management Systems is a proactive approach to safety that was adopted by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to ensure aerodrome readiness to comply with local civil aviation regulations. This course provides participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to plan, develop, and implement a Safety Management System (SMS) and ensure on-going compliance with the ICAO Safety SARPs.
For courses delivered in the US, additional information will be provided for US airports following the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) new rule and updated Advisory Circular that airports meeting the requirements listed in the rule are required to develop, implement, maintain and adhere to an airport Safety Management Systems (SMS). Another dedicated course exists for airports outside of the US.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the specific regulatory frameworks relevant to airport safety.
- Understand the key principles upon which to establish an effective SMS programme.
- Describe the process to plan and implement an effective SMS within FAA timelines.
- FAA’s expectations on management of SMS at airports.
- Expose the framework for creating a “safety culture” within an organization and how to address related problems.
- Understand the influence of Human Factors in SMS.
- Describe the four components of an SMS including:
- Safety Policy
- Safety Risk Management
- Safety Promotion
- Safety Assurance.
- Airport Operations Directors, Managers, Officers and Staff
- Airport Emergency Managers, Safety Managers, Officers and Staff
- State regulators (CAA, FAA, etc.)
- International requirements of aviation regulation and Aerodrome Certification
- Basic safety concepts
- Fundamentals of hazards and risks
- Components of SMS
- SMS and Safety Culture
- SMS planning and implementation
- SMS support tools and management processes
- SMS problems and solutions
- Case studies, group exercises and airside visit
This course is part of the Global ACI-ICAO Airport Safety Professional (ASP) Designation Program
ACI-ICAO ASP is the premier global designation program that leads to a unique and prestigious professional designation for airport safety professionals and civil aviation regulators.
This course is part of the Airport Management Professional Accreditation Program (AMPAP)
ACI and ICAO established a formal partnership to provide accessible, affordable and universally available specialized management training to the global airports community. This initiative gave birth to the Airport Management Professional Accreditation Program (AMPAP).
Other Safety Courses
*AMPAP and ASP electives