Professional Certificate Course
Delivery: Blended classroom/Self-paced online
Duration: 3 days
As an integrated part of a layered approach to security, Behavioural Detection is an important and often underestimated tool to help fill the gap left by the best available screening technologies, which themselves are essential tools to help identify and resolve possible threats. Behavioural Detection can contribute to risk-based differentiation of passengers.
This course provides participants with an in-depth, practical understanding of the way in which Behavioural Detection techniques can be used to help identify people who may pose a threat to civil aviation.
The course is designed as a blended learning experience and intended to help participants build on the foundation and awareness gained from the on-line Airport Behavioural Detection Fundamentals course by further developing their Behavioural Detection skills in the classroom.
Upon completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the ways in which behavioural detection can play an important role in identifying and resolving threats based on the practical application of unbiased judgment
- Explain how behavioural detection techniques can aid in the identification of other airport-based criminal activity
- Explain the biology of fear and how to identify stress indicators in non-verbal communication
- Identify suspicious indicators from people’s appearance and behaviour
- Understand the importance of knowing your environment
- Demonstrate interview techniques to identify and/or resolve suspicious indicators
- Determine when and how to escalate a situation if required
- Cite case studies illustrating the value of behavioural detection
- Put in place safeguards to avoid discriminating against people based on their gender, colour, ethnicity, or religion
- Demonstrate, through role plays, an understanding of behavioural detection techniques and the way in which questioning can resolve such threats
- Airport managers and personnel with security and facilitation responsibilities
- Airline managers and personnel with security and facilitation responsibilities
- Civil Aviation Authority security regulators
- Government agencies, Airport Authorities & operators and Aviation security service providers responsible for passenger screening
- Security trainers and supervisors
- Review of the Airport Behavioural Detection fundamentals*
- Security Concept
- Passenger Profiles and Terrorist Modus Operandi
- Behavioural Detection & the Biology of Fear
- Suspicious Signs
- Risk-Based Differentiation of Passengers
- Conversation Techniques (Professional Questioning Skills)
- Identifying Insider Threats, Criminal Activity, Human Trafficking & Unruly Passengers
- Practical exercises and Role Play Scenarios
* The ACI Airport Behavioural Detection Fundamentals on-line course will be included at a discounted rate as part of the Airport Behavioural Detection blended learning package. Participants will be required to complete the on-line training as part of the course requirements to receive a Certificate of Completion for this workshop.