City of Houston
Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Division/Section: BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL/AIRSIDE OPERATIONS
Workdays & Hours*:*Shift work, including rotation, weekends and holidays. (*Subject to change)
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Airside Operations section at George Bush Intercontinental Airport Houston (IAH) ensures a safe and secure airside operational environment for employees and stakeholders while supporting tenant activities and projects and promoting aviation within the local community. The Airside Operations Coordinator – Airside maintains a safe and secure airport environment by conducting inspections of Airside Operations and coordinating operational or security activities. The Airside Operations team ensures that the airfield meets all FAR 139 requirements to provide a safe and efficient airfield operating environment for aircraft, vehicles and personnel. This position coordinates airfield maintenance and construction activities and participates in various phases of emergency management and irregular operations, while interacting with airlines, federal agencies, and airport management. Must be able to pass a criminal background check, obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required."
The Airside Operations Coordinator duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensures compliance with Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (14CFR Part 139) by conducting inspections of runways, taxiways, ramps and other aeronautical areas to ensure compliance with applicable 150 Series Advisory Circulars (ACs), federal and state regulations and the Airport Certification Manual. Reports unsafe conditions and initiates corrective actions to mitigate hazards.
- Coordinates the response to aircraft emergencies or aircraft in distress, HAZMAT incidents and medical emergencies in accordance with the Airport Emergency Plan adhering to NIMS methodology, Oversees activities to assure compliance with airport certification requirements and Federal Aviation Administration standards. Serves as airport field representative until relieved by supervisory authority.
- Identifies and anticipates operational and safety concerns by maintaining continuous surveillance and radio contact with the control tower.
- Conducts airfield tenant fuel inspections per 14 CFR Part 139.321, NFPA 407 and local codes. Recommends corrective actions and enforces regulations. Ensures required fueling training is properly recorded and maintained.
- Coordinates and monitors daily work on and/or near the AOA (Airport Operation Area) with other airport sections, FAA and other airfield stakeholders to ensure a safe operating environment. Initiates minor corrective actions with the related groups.
- Monitors construction personnel and activities on and near the AOA to ensure a safe operating environment. Ensures compliance with AC 150/5370-2, Operational Safety on Airports During Construction.
- Conduct wildlife management activities in accordance with the Wildlife Hazard Management Plan and 14 CFR Part 139.337 including the carrying and discharging of firearms, pyrotechnics and utilization of other wildlife management techniques on the airfield.
- Prepares and maintains inspection reports and operations logs utilizing computer and/or written formats.
- Participates in periodic tabletop and full-scale emergency exercises and tests the response of resources.
- Initiates communications with airlines, tenants and airport personnel to resolve problems pertaining to airside operations and to explain airport policy and lease provisions.
- Responds to off airport locations as needed to investigate and correct possible airspace violations and penetrations following 14 CFR Part 77.
- Enforces airfield safety, operational and parking regulations. Recommends issuance of NOVs (Notice of Violation) as required for airside violations and infractions. Attends hearings regarding enforcement activities.
- Observes and reports airline and tenant activities on and near the AOA to ensure compliance with airport leases, contracts, standards and policies/procedures.
- Keeps abreast of existing and new legislation and ensures compliance to federal, state and local requirements.
- Contributes to the team effort by completing projects and performing other related duties as assigned to enhance safety, security and productivity.
The position routinely requires lifting and moving of moderately heavy items, such as barricades, traffic cones, and equipment (up to 40 pounds) and/or very long periods of walking on rough surfaces on a routine basis. There are routine discomforts from exposure to heat, cold, moisture/wetness and unpleasant air conditions. The position may involve routine exposure to soiled materials and chemical substances such as aviation fuel and fluids and cleaning solutions. Requires the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements within fairly fine tolerance and/or calibration demands; or the ability to make closely coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within moderate tolerance demands.
Requires an Associates degree in Aviation Management, Aeronautics, Airway Science, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field.
A Bachelor’s degree in Aviation Management, Aeronautics, Airway Science, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field may be substituted for up to two years of the experience required.
Four years of progressively responsible experience in airport operations and/or maintenance of an airport. A Pilots license, Control Tower Operator certificate, industry specific certifications (CM, AAE, IAP, ACE) and/or directly related military experience may also be considered.
Requires a valid Class C Texas driver’s license and compliance with the City of Houston’s policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Must be able to pass a criminal background check and obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances for working at an airport.
Preference will be given to applicants with considerable knowledge of airport airside operations. Ability to communicate diplomatically and effectively, often in tense situations, with all levels of internal and external customers. Experience with MS Office suite is a plus. Knowledge of 150 Series ACs, 14 CFR Part 139 and NFPA regulations are highly desired.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6. **
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRE
The selection process will involve application review and/or interview. Department may administer skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION
YES - If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Pay Grade - 21
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 281-233-1842.
If you need special services or accommodations, call 281-233-1842; (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Applicants are encouraged to attach a cover letter and resume along with their completed application when applying. For further information pertaining to the Houston Airport System, please visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDWLV_sJFoM
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.