ACI World and Amadeus announce new technology innovation awards
Awards recognize crucial role of innovation in recovery and beyond
Montreal, 28 July 2021 – Airports Council International (ACI) World and Amadeus have today announced new awards that celebrate the increasingly important role new innovations in technology are playing in industry recovery and beyond.
The Amadeus & ACI World Technology Innovation Awards are now open for entries from all ACI member airports and comprise three categories:
- Best innovation(s) in airport passenger related processes
- Best innovation(s) in airport operations and installations management, and
- Best airport innovation leader (individual).
Through its partnership with Amadeus, ACI World seeks to recognize the many innovative solutions deployed by member airports as they keep up with a fast-changing environment and prioritize the changing needs of passengers.
Judges will be looking for examples of technological innovation that help airports to adapt and provide a personalized experience based on individual passenger preferences, ensure a seamless, touchless passenger journey, improve communication and provide passengers with timely, accurate travel information, and contribute to the improvement of the global airport passenger experience.
“As the industry begins to see a resurgence in demand, airports have sought to capitalize on technology and innovation to respond to the changing needs and expectations of passengers and provide a seamless customer experience,” ACI World Director General Luis Felipe de Oliveira said.
“These new awards, developed through our established partnership with Amadeus, allow us to recognize and celebrate those airports that have responded to the challenge of the pandemic by pursuing technological innovation to improve customer experience at a time when the voice of the passenger has never been more important.
“Partnerships bring the industry together and are fundamental to the restart and long term recovery. Amadeus supports airports to improve the travel experience for passengers all over the world and we look forward to working together to reward those airports that are setting an example for their peers.”
Elena Avila, EVP Airport IT and Airline Operations Amadeus said: “Airports across the world are adapting the passenger experience to provide a safer, smoother and more streamlined airport journey, from check-in to boarding.
“New technologies like biometric digital identity and contactless self-service will be integral to helping our industry to rebuild air travel so that it’s better for passengers and stakeholders alike. These awards could not come at a better time. We want to acknowledge and support the huge strides airports have been taking and will continue to take.”
Notes for editors
2. Airports Council International (ACI), the trade association of the world’s airports, was founded in 1991 with the objective of fostering cooperation among its member airports and other partners in world aviation, including the International Civil Aviation Organization, the International Air Transport Association and the Civil Air Navigation Services Organization. In representing the best interests of airports during key phases of policy development, ACI makes a significant contribution toward ensuring a global air transport system that is safe, secure, customer-centric and environmentally sustainable. As of January 2020, ACI serves 668 members, operating 1979 airports in 176 countries.
3. Travel powers progress. Amadeus powers travel. Amadeus’ solutions connect travellers to the journeys they want through travel agents, search engines, tour operators, airlines, airports, hotels, cars and railways.
We have developed our technology in partnership with the travel industry for over 30 years. We combine a deep understanding of how people travel with the ability to design and deliver the most complex, trusted, critical systems our customers need. We help connect over 1.6 billion people a year to local travel providers in over 190 countries.
We are one company, with a global mindset and a local presence wherever our customers need us.
Our purpose is to shape the future of travel. We are passionate in our pursuit of better technology that makes better journeys.
Amadeus is an IBEX 35 company, listed on the Spanish Stock Exchange under AMS.MC. The company is also part of the EuroStoxx50 and has been recognized by the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the last eight years.
To find out more about Amadeus, visit www.amadeus.com.
Vice President Marketing and Communications
Telephone: +34 699 854 493