Reports to: Sr. Director Airport Economics, traffic and forecast.
Location: Montreal, Canada
Airports Council International (ACI) World is the association of the world’s airports. It is a non-profit organization, whose prime purpose is to advance the interests of airports and to promote professional excellence in airport management and operations. By fostering cooperation amongst airports, world aviation organizations and business partners, ACI makes a significant contribution to providing the travelling public with an air transport system that is safe, secure, efficient and environmentally responsible.
As the international association of the worlds’ commercial service airports, ACI represents the collective positions of its membership, which are established through committees and endorsed by the ACI Governing Board. These views reflect the common interests of the global airport’s community.
Next to standardizing our Analytical Output portfolio that we publish through our Intelligence-Hub, we broaden our scope of the Data & Analytics product portfolio to empower the ACI members to do their own reporting and analytics through a Self-Service BI approach and offer new analytical data products. We also move towards more (advanced) analytics that will translate into a new forecasting product portfolio. We require a Data Engineer to provide technical know-how and further develop, strengthen and maintain our ACI Data Hub and deliver on well-architected set of data pipelines to service the various stakeholders within the organization.
Position in the organisation
The Data engineer reports to the Sr. Director Airport Economics, traffic and forecast, but with close functional working relationships with IT and other internal and external stakeholders.
I. Main Areas of Responsibility for the role
As an Azure data engineer at ACI you will be responsible for unlocking, structuring and preparing data for numerous stakeholders. You process data in our Azure-based ACI Data Hub (ADH), which consists of various data sources for domains such as ASQ, Airport safety, world-wide passenger statistics, CRM etc. You will further strengthen our ADH, develop data pipelines (Azure Data Factory or the Matillion low-code ETL software) and ensure it functions properly within the infrastructure and make them 'ready for use'. In this way, data analysts and other internal ACI users can immediately get to work with the data. In addition, as a technical consultant you try to increase the data quality within the ADH, which you can only do if you know the content and meaning of the data. Furthermore, the ADH receives economically sensitive data from internal and external parties, so you will take security aspects into account. You will also perform DataOps and DevOps work, with the aim of rolling out changes as quickly and easily as possible in an automated manner. You are part of the Airport Economics and Statistics department (11 colleagues) and will work closely together with other teams (Safety, Security and Operations, ASQ etc..), IT and external stakeholders all across ACI.
II. Main Responsibilities
Main responsibilities of the Azure Data Engineer are:
- Implement and maintain robust data pipelines that manage and secure the flow of structured and unstructured data from multiple sources towards end-users (internal and increasingly external). This can be data extracted from multiple databases that need to be stored in our central SQL database, or data from a wide array of external sources that can be ingested through API’s for instance.
- Building orchestrated jobs to move data from different sources to Azure Data Lake Storage or our Azure SQL database, including across different layers in Azure;
- You strive for an optimal architecture by taking Microsoft’s Well-Architected Review framework into account (Security, Cost Optimization, Operational Excellence, Performance Efficiency and Reliability) and by working closely together with IT and the Data Security Officer;
- You extract, transform, validate and clean up data to meet functional and non-functional (Self-Service) Business Intelligence requirements;
- As we move more towards advanced analytics you help deploying models into production and maintain a continuous integration pipeline, including monitoring and optimizing system performance and cost;
- Since Azure is a rapidly changing world, you will learn and stay up-to-date in the latest tools and services in the Azure ecosystem;
- Follow up with super users to guarantee ongoing support. All done closely together with ACI World and its regional offices.
III. Qualifications and Skills
Experience and Education
- You hold a Bachelor's or Master's degree (preferably in Computer Science or similar);
- You have at least 2 years of working experience as a Data Engineer, preferably with technologies like Microsoft Azure Data Lake Storage, Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks, and Azure SQL Server and/or Synapse Analytics.
- You have experience in at least one of the following areas: setting up cloud-based data pipelines, deploying machine learning models or designing a data infrastructure in the Cloud;
- You have experience and knowledge of (relational) databases, data modelling, reporting, data warehouses, metadata and ETL with Microsoft SQL Server and/or SSIS, SSAS, SSRS;
- You are familiar with analytical tools like Power BI, or similar, and have experience with T-SQL.
- You are familiar with at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Java or Spark;
- You have experience working in Agile/ Scrum teams;
- You are service-oriented and demonstrate initiative with a good follow-up attitude.
- Excellent communication skills in English. French is considered an asset.
Nice to have
- You have working experience in an international aviation environment.
- You are certified in DP-200 and preferably also in DP-201 (Microsoft certified Azure Data Engineer);
- A challenging and exciting position in an international and multicultural environment.
- 4 weeks of vacation/year.
- 5 sick days/ year.
- 5 mental wellness days/year.
- Employee cell phone (iPhone) with TELUS Health virtual care included.
- Health insurance coverage from your first day of employment.
- Opus/EXO Transit discount on monthly pass.
Should this position interest you, please send your resume and cover letter (including salary expectations) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants may undergo testing through written examinations.